The Defence Media Operations (DMO) has disclosed that a total of 5,890 terrorists comprising their foot soldiers and field commanders have so far surrendered with their families to counter-insurgency troops in North East in the past few weeks.
Director Defence Media Operations. Brigadier General Benard Onyeuko, who made the disclosure today, also said another 565 Boko Haram terrorists comprising 3 Commanders, 4 Amirs, 5 Nakibs and 5 cattle rustling specialists, out of the surrendered terrorists and their family members were handed over to the Borno State government in Maiduguri for further action after discreet profiling.
Onyeuko, who briefed newsmen at the Defence headquarters on developments in military operations conducted between August 12 to September 2, across the country, said soldiers killed 48 terrorists in the period under review, arrested 20 others and destroyed their logistic base and facilities including 3 gun trucks.
He listed other weapons recovered during the operations to include 52 assorted arms, 1,977 rounds of 7.62mm assorted calibre ammunition including AK-47 and FN rifles with magazines, hand grenades, commando mortar guns, locally fabricated rifles, Dushka anti-aircraft guns, Dane guns and Nigerian Police rifles among other items were recovered from surrendered terrorists and operations within the period.
He added that seven terrorists informants and logistics suppliers were arrested and handed over to appropriate prosecuting agencies for necessary actions, while soldiers with support from the air component foiled terrorists attack in Borno State.
The DMO spokesman who observed that military operations conducted across the country have continued to yield tremendous successes said 15 armed bandits and two armed robbers were killed by soldiers on anti banditry operations, 13 bandits informants arrested, while 15 motorcycles and 2 AK 47 rifles recovered. He also said that 33 kidnap victims were rescued, 66 criminals were arrested and some vandalised railway sleepers/tracks were recovered within the period in focus.
Giving an update on military operations conducted between August 12-September 2, Onyeuko said: “Within the period under review, troops of Operation HADIN KAI sustained their operations to terrorists in the North East theatre. The counter insurgency efforts of the troops through kinetic and non-kinetic operations compelled the terrorists to surrender in large numbers.
“Suffice to note that, within the last few weeks, more than 5,890 terrorists comprising foot soldiers and their commanders have surrendered with their families to own troops in the North East Zone . A total of 565 BHT’s comprising 3 Commanders, 4 Amirs, 5 Nakibs and 5 cattle rustling specialists, out of the surrendered BHTs and their family members were handed over to the Borno State Government in Maiduguri for further management after thorough profiling. Meanwhile, on June 14, 2021, own troops repelled terrorists’ attack in Borno State as troops, with the support of the Air Component through air interdiction missions, inflicted heavy casualties on the terrorists and their equipment.